Since launching our NETFLIX Display Calibration Best Practices Initiatives, we have sometimes encountered the following questions:
- We are not doing color correction on NETFLIX content - it has already been “baked in” so why do we need calibrated displays?
Calibrated displays ensure that all scene objects are properly presented as originally intended. Compression artifacts can be introduced, but then become invisible due to mis-calibration. This must be avoided.
- We have our own system for display calibration. Why do we need to adopt the NETFLIX prescribed vendor - CalMAN?
In an effort to standardize methodologies and reports, Netflix has recommended a vendor and created workflows and reports to support that. Other vendors’ tools can be used as long as they measure and report the same values as found in the CalMAN reports.
- Doesn’t my Mac monitor do the calibration for me when I choose the right profile from Color Sync?
The only way to fully calibrate a display is to apply test signals, measure the results with a light sensing device and adjust parameters accordingly. Display profiles merely try to match a graphics card output to a type of display.
- We have a large fleet of monitors in our facility, many of which are used in NETFLIX workflow. Do all of them need to be calibrated?
The intention of our Calibration Best Practices document is for media processing and QC facilities to identify and calibrate specific displays that are used for qualitative evaluation of Netflix sources.
- Why does Netflix only require NPVs to calibrate their displays? Why not ordinary Fulfillment Partners?
Being an NPV is an implicit Netflix endorsement of the services, competency, and high standards of the facility. Therefore, our Content Partners will gravitate towards NPVs to deliver their assets to us. Ordinary fulfillment partners receive no such endorsement.
- We hear a lot about High Dynamic Range and Wide Color Gamut. Will the Best Practices document be expanded to address these emerging technologies?
Support for HDR and WCG is already in development. Hence the importance of mastering display calibration for SDR, before we grapple with the advanced features. The CalMAN system can address these today. Best Practices documents will be updated to include HDR and WCG as we add these to our specification.
- Spectracal Video resources:
Short “why calibrate?” video
Long “why calibrate?” video